Tuesday, 8 January 2008

My Favs Pt 2 -Oh the Horror!

The thing about jet-lag when you travel from the West to the East is that you are tired during the day, but then come the middle of the night you can't sleep. Thus, I'm blogging.

It being the New Year and all I was going through my blogs from last year and I quite like this one. Despite my denial, it's a bit Nick Hornby-esque.


Oh the HORROR!!!

That bit before a first date is damn scary. Its hours away at this point for me, and I'm doing this, doing that, trying ignore the butterflies in my stomach. I've had some really good and really bad first dates in the past, but I prefer to simply forget the bad ones.

Not to sound like Nick Hornby, but my all time favourite first date was about 8 years ago with E-. We met at a show at the Tractor Tavern in Seattle. It turned out that we had a friend in common. We also were both David Lynch fans and had an obsession for the show Twin Peaks. E- was an Alfa Romeo addict. He owned two and one was working quite well. So, in his convertible Alfa we drove from Seattle to the town of North Bend, where much of the television show was filmed. He even had a scarf in his glove compartment in case a female passenger might be concerned about having her hair mussed. I wore it as a lark, put on my sun glasses, and felt a bit like Grace Kelly. Not surprisingly the day was slightly overcast, but the mountains were still lovely, and as it was August the temperature was mild. We conducted our own private tour of all the Twin Peaks spots including a trip to Snoqualmie Falls and had a late lunch at the 'Double R Diner' (in reality it's called the Mar T Diner. They have the best shakes and pie there.) We laughed and talked easily. I felt woozy at parts and couldn't stop smiling. Afterwards we went back to his place, hung out and watched a few episodes of Twin Peaks. Of course we made out a bit while watching the show, but we made sure to gave our favourite parts the respect they deserved. The date began at noon and ended at 1AM when I finally went home. Unfortunately E- and I only dated a few months before we figured out that we were more attracted to each other as friends. We're still friends.

My second favourite first date was in August of 2005. I met this guy off a web site and we chatted on the phone everyday for a week leading up to our date in Camden. He had a posh accent, but it didn't seem like he had that sense of privilege that comes from an upper class upbringing. I was delighted when I met him as he was quite sexy tall, slender, dark brown hair, which flopped in front of his big chocolate eyes. He was funny and witty. We walked through the market and had a lovely time chatting about this and that. Then we walked down to Regents Park and had a nice stroll. We played a game he made up called, "Dog", sat in the shade and people watched, which eventually turned into snogging. I felt like I was on a cloud. We walked to the tube together had-in-hand, and I turned pale as we had to take a lift down with about 40 other people. I don't like lifts but have learned to tolerate them. He put his arm around me, kissed me on the top of my head and said, "A bit claustrophobic aren't you?" I nodded and felt comforted by his close presence. When we got to Waterloo, we took the train together his arm around me, my head against his shoulder, both of us quietly reading the paper. He got off at his stop and told me he would call me tomorrow, which he did. However, on our second date he revealed himself to be a true wanker. I no longer speak to him.

I'm writing about this right now to distract myself. However, I need to take care not to get too diverted. One time I locked myself out of my flat hours before a first date as I was focussed on something else. My mobile and I were separated by the locked door and my neighbour, who knew how to climb up the wall and open my back window, was on holiday. Eventually another neighbour came home from work. Her mother owned a ladder and lived relatively close. My window was open, so I was able get in and text my date letting him know that I would be late. I showed up half an hour late, in work clothes, and unable to properly primp as I had planned. Not having bathed, I was paranoid that I smelled the entire time we were together. Things went pretty well though. We ended up seeing each other off and on for about a year and are now friends.

In all I guess it is the dates that aren't spectacular that lead to lasting relationships. Regardless of how first dates go the time leading up to them is quite nerve racking. Augh! I have now wasted a good hour writing this and the time is closer to my departure. I'm still just as nervous. Perhaps I'll clean my flat before I go hmmmm and haw about what I should wear and what shade of lipstick to don.

So as for the outcome of that first date, we had a fantastic time. I'd even put it up there in my top 3 of best first dates, coming in at number 2. Thus it wins out over the out the foppy-wanker-dog boy. (Sorry, but the Twin Peaks date is difficult to beat) . The specifics of the new number 2 favourite first date I shall keep private. As for the relationship, we dated for a while, broke up, and now are decent friends. First dates no longer unnerve me so much.

In other news, my friend Steph is coming to London for a visit in Feb. Woo Hoo! In truth it was the excitement about that which brought on my second wind of energy. So, now I will take some sleep aids and curl up in bed and hope to drift off.

G' night.

No comments: