Friday 20 March 2009

Answer Time (as opposed to Question Time)

I'm done. I passed in 9 minutes (out of 45), but I'm glad I studied. Most of the questions I only knew because I had studied. Some of my friends and colleagues who have taken this test have gotten easy pease questions ('What do people do on April Fools Day?') but my test only had 2 or 3 easy peasy ones.

So as for the mini- test I gave you all, here are the answers...

1. How many seats for representatives from the UK are there in the European Parliament?
a. 78
b. 88
c. 98
d. 108

2. What is the population of Wales?
a. 2.9 million
b. 2.2 million
c. 1.9 million
d. 1.2 million

3. Which of the following countries does NOT use a proportional representation electoral system?
a. Wales
b. England
c. Scotland
d. Northern Ireland

4. From which TWO locations did Britain admit refugees during the late 1960s and early 1970s?
a. South East Asia
b. Ethiopia
c. Turkey
d. Uganda

5. How many member countries are there in the EU?
a. 17
b. 22
c. 27
d. 32

6. What proportion of people in the UK own their own home?
a. One-third
b. One-half
c. One-quarter
d. Two-thirds

7. During the 1980s, the largest immigrant groups to the UK came from which countries?
a. China, Japan and South Korea
b. Russia, Poland, Belarus and Ukraine
c. India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh
d. United States, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand

8. What is the difference in the average hourly pay rate for men and women?
a. The average hourly pay rate is 5% lower for women.
b. The average hourly pay rate is 10% lower for women.
c. The average hourly pay rate is 20% lower for women.
d. No difference- the average hourly pay rate for women is the same as men.

9. What proportion of young people who became first time voters in the 2001 general election actually used their vote?
a. One in two
b. One in three
c. One in five
d. One in six

10. Why did Britain admit 28,000 people of Indian origin in the late 1960s and early 1970s?
a. They were escaping religious persecution
b. Because of an agreement with the Indian government
c. They were forced to leave Uganda
d. To address shortages in skilled labour

11. What percentage of England's population is made up of ethnic minority groups?
a. 3%
b. 9%
c. 18%
d. 24%

12. According to the 2001 Census what percentage of the UK population reported that they had a religion?
a. 45%
b. 55%
c. 65%
d. 75%

So....(drum roll)
Pristyles- you got 100% of the 3 you answered correct. Still you didn't do the rest, but yes let's go for a drink. Oh and hell for trying at least part of it, I'll buy you one. :-)
David de V- You got 4 wrong. Thus, you didn't reach the 75% mark. However, quite a valiant effort on your behalf, so I'll buy you a drink. I'm sure that will be happening soon. :-)
Augeas-You also didn't reach the 75% mark, but your comments made me laugh out loud at points. So, I'll gladly buy you a drink sometime. :-)

See, now don't the rest of you wished you had given it a shot.

And now, I'm off to meet the gals and up Tower 42 to Vertigo where we will have some bubbly. Wooooo how posh am I? (har har har)

No comments: