Friday 4 April 2008

Evil Witch!!

I have not spent the entirety of my 2 week Spring Recess partying and lying in until 10 or 11 each day, only most of it. I have actually been working a bit as well. As I mentioned in a previous post, I cleaned out my back office and I have also been marking my students' projects. They were assigned to write either a myth, fairytale or legend. While I am entertained by some of these stories, it is a time consuming task, taking me about 10-15 minutes per paper. When you have 90+ students, that's a good deal of time.

Today while I was reading the millionth fairytale, I couldn't help but laugh at this student's description of the story's nemesis:

"Matilda was the meanest witch of all; she would just do anything to bring down your day."

Now that's an evil witch! I believe that this Matilda is responsible for bad weather, the trains or buses running late or being cancelled, losing one's keys, bitchy bosses, coffee-maker mishaps, traffic jams, road rage and just rude behaviour of people in general-anything that just brings down your day.

The next time I have a bad day I'm blaming Matilda. Those gooey brownies-that was Matilda.

No comments: