Thursday 15 May 2008

What I Wish I Had Said

My birthday was beyond amazing. Many of my close friends showed up to the party, which was absolutely fantastic. We had a brilliant time.

Mark called on me to make a speech, but I faltered and froze up. Then I was presented with a present and was told to open it before the card. It was a box of laundry detergent. I was thrilled to bits because I knew what was coming next. Sure enough, there was a certificate with the names of several of my friends who had all chipped in to buy me the washing machine I so desperately needed. (It was not supplied with the flat and the cheap, used one I bought broke.) This was on top of the many other gifts I was receiving. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed.

Then and there I should have said this:

I am so blessed with the luck I have had when it comes to the people I have met since I moved here. It is can be so difficult at times, living so far away from my country of origin and away from my family and friends who have known me almost a lifetime. However, here in England I have met some of the most kind, warm-hearted, generous and patient people. You are my family here and you have always been there for me when I'm at my lowest and my highest. You have been my rock these past four years. I must be the luckiest woman alive to have you in my life. Thank you ever so much for being my friends.

And then, there are my friends back in the US who (like Steve who was actually there that night) remain my constant long distant companions. I am also incredibly lucky to continue to have them in my life.

I have DAMN good taste in friends. Thank you, yet again!

No comments: